cherryville.gif (3142 bytes)



The First Mayor's Office
Erected by the Honorable Melvillle L. Rudisill, Mayor in 1892

 

Designed by
Mike Jones
Copyright © 1996-2002 Cherryville.com
All Rights Reserved.

Site maintained by
Mike Jones 


The First Mayor's Office
Mayor Melville L. Rudisill's office in 1892

We are glad to be able to present to our readers and for their enjoyment, we hope a picture of the first Municipal Building of the town. This building measuring ten by twelve feet was erected by Honorable Melville L. Rudisill when he was elected mayor in 1892. It was built of the finest forest pine lumber cut from his farm in the edge of Lincoln County; It was heated by means of a wood stove.

The City Hall was used by Mayor Rudisill regularly for city business and for some of his own private business. In fact the City Hall was more of a utility building. At the time in question and for many years before and after that date the mayor tried all criminal cases coming up in town and it was used by the Town Board for their monthly meetings. For a justice of the peace court. Headquarters for the Police Department, for holding town elections and state and national elections, and for other business purposes.

This City Hall was used not only by Mayor Rudisill and his board but by all mayors, town boards and police officers for many years. The building was situated near the center of town on the south side of East Main street where the Houser Building now stands in the heart of the business district. When it was decided by Mr. Rudisill and Dr. William H. Houser, Sr., to build the Houser Building the small building was moved off but preserved. Mrs. Julia Rudisill Hall daughter of the former mayor, became heir to the City Hall and after some years she transferred the title to the building to the town. Therefore, the building was removed to the city lot opposite the First Presbyterian Church where it now stands just as it did in 1892 and for years except facing south instead of north on the former site.

We were advised last week that it is the intention of some the town officials to make some needed repairs on the building to the end that it may be preserved as a memorial to the progressiveness of the town officials, and showing a step in the direction of doing things in definite and substantial manner.

What was done in this respect by Mr. Rudisill and his fellow town officials may to some appear to be very insignificant. But not so. By an examination of the minutes or records of the town affairs we find that all the meetings before that date were held in old unoccupied store buildings, private offices and in the homes of some of the officials.

Article taken from the "Cherryville Eagle" 1947