Rhyne Houser Manufacturing Co.
Rhyne Houser was a good while getting into operation after
construction, due to machinery being hard to get. The war probably had
something to do with this. Cord Hallman helped install the machinery.
In 1922 J. C. Ballard was elected Supt. D.E. Rhyne was President, Dr.
W. H. Houser acting Vice President, and C. A. Rudisill was Sec. and
Treas. Mr. Rudisill tendered his resignation in March of that year in
order to give more time to the building and operation of the Carlton.
Former Postmaster A. H. Huss was hired to take over Sec. and Treas.
duties in 1927. G. J. Bennett was Supt. Later William McLeod held this
position. In 1923 Dr. W. H. Houser passed away and in 1929 Dr. Forest
Houser was elected to The Board of Directors 1932 Howard Houser became
active in the mill. 1933 Dr. Forest Houser became President. In June
1935 the company purchased the outstanding shares of the D. E. Rhyne
estate and others. Howard Houser was on the Board of Directors in 1935
and in 1939 became Supt. The Wildan was taken over by Rhyne Houser May
22, 1936. Mr. Blaclcstock was Supt. in the 40's.
Some of the overseers were: D. E. Duke, Mr. George, B. B. Brackett, Albert Hicks was maintenance man and Lester Taylor, Master Mechanic, Vance Browne was the carpenter.
Some of the workers were Mace Boyles, Jesse Boyd, Eugene Whitworth, George Bailes, Henry and Barton Stubblefield, Boyd Houser, BiD Black, and Annie Jay, Lack Harris and sons James, John and Laclc Jr. The Abeher family, Ben Vandyke ran the lunch room, Jimmy Queen, Fiorence Ford and Howard, Clyde Gainey, Lee Heavuer and sons John, Charlie Basil and Ovie, John Huffstetler, Sam Armstrong and son Lester, Jim Beatty, Ed Timmons, Will Hastings, Pink Hollifield, Charlie Spencer, Frank Gantt, Mr. Adams, Nobie Bice, Ray Carroll, Lee Wright Carroll, Herbert Worthy, Lee Weatherly. Ed Rudisill and sons Robert Ernest and John, Fred Smith, Ralph Gantt, Dock Neill an] Luther and Zeb, Claude Boyles and a great number of others. Ralph Wease was with Rhyne Houser many years as fixer in the Card Room. He holds a similar position now with Burlington. The same is true here pertaining to women workers, the wives daughters and sisters of the above named made up the greater portion of women work force.
The mill is now the property of Burlington Industries and called the Burlington Madision Division, Cherryville Plant. Dewey Quinn, Plant Manager, Burlington, acquired ownership in March 1960 with Bob Bonds serving as Plant Manager until 1965 when Mr. Quinn came to Cherryville in his present capacity.