||Special School District established for Cherryville.
Classes were held in Henry Summitt's granary building with SS Mauney as teacher earning
$25 a month for 4 months.
||First permanant school building, a
rectangular 2 story building called The Academy, was erected in and across what is now
Academy Street. Used until 1915.
||Cherryville High School meets state requirements for a
standard high school.
||First brick building was built on first
street. All students were sent here and The Academy was phased out.
||Building on First Street burned during Christmas holidays
and classes were dispersed all over town - in churches, over fire house, store building,
etc. until it could be rebuilt.
||West Elemetary school, first know as
Elementary School #2, was build near site of the old academy.
||Modern gymnasium built; named for
teacher/principal/superintendant Joe R. Nixon.
||School Athletic field was graded and
fenced through the support of civic organizations. City's unemployed were given work
preparing the field.
||Senior High School building was built on East First Street
and the 19915 building became and elementary school only.
||Segregated John Chavis School graduated
it's first students.
||Modern Auditorium was built; named for Supt. Foster W.
Starnes. Class of '50 first to hold commencement excercises there.
||New classrooms added to John Chavis
||New auditorium build adjacent to West elementary with
seating capacity of 360. Presently used as Little Theater Building.
||East Elementary School building was
completed on East Academy Street.grades 1-6 from Elemetary #1 (1915 building) plus 6th
grade students from Elementary #2 (West) moved here. 1915 building became junior high.
||New cafeteria built on First Street for Jr/Sr High
||Rudisill stadium was completed as a
||Population growth requires addition of four classrooms at
||John Chavis School burs. Classes held in
Rudisill Chapel and Fairview Baptist Churches and the Rhyne-Houser Club House until
building was rebuilt. Graduation exercises were held at Lincoln High School in Bessemer
||Total integration and reorganization of schools takes
place. John Chavis Elementary becomes South Elementary.
||New, circular Junior High building was
completed on Requa Road and the first brick school (1915) was torn down.
||Cherryville School System Consolidated with Gaston County
||West School Closed. Grades 4-6 attend
South School; Kindergarten (a new program) - grade 3 attend East School.
||Addition completed at site of circulaart Junior High
building to include high school. High School buidling on First Street, built in 1936, was
closed and later demolished.
||Newly remodeled South School becomes a
middle school for grades 6 - 8 and reclams name of John Chavis. Grades 9 - 12 occupy all
of Requa Road campus.