History of Second
September 29, 1940, what is now known as Second Baptist Church, was
organized at the home of Mr. & Mrs. AV Rippy, located in the Dora
Mill village at 218 W. Gaston St., Cherryville, NC. There were no
piano, no pulpit, no cushioned pews, arid only eight adult worshipers
arid some children. Every Sunday they met in the living room of the
Rippy home to sing, pray arid listen to the scriptures. The old
familiar hymn, "Amazing Grace," was sung at the close of every service.
The name of the church was decided upon then as the Dora Baptist Church, with plans being to build the church near the Dora Mill. The first officers were Rev. N.S. Hardin, Pastor; Mrs. John McGinnis, Church Clerk, Paullne Huss, Treasurer; AV Rippy, Sunday School Supenintendent; John McGinnis arid AV. Rippy, Deacons.
In time the gathening grew too large for the Rippy's living room, so in early 1941 they began holding services in the Rhyne Houser Clubhouse. On January 18, 1942, the Dora Baptist Church unammously adopted the resolution to change the name of the church to Second Baptist Church. They had recently bought property on Wellington Avenue arid were making plans to build the church building there.
Sunday, May 3, 1942, the congregation of Second Baptist Church moved into their first building on Wellington Avenue. Later four Sunday School rooms and two restrooms were added to the rear of the building, and the front entrance and tower were completed. In the spring of 1953, the brick pastorium was built across the street from the church. In 1956, construction was begun on additional Sunday School rooms.
The congregation continued to hold services in this building on Wellington Avenue until 1964 when construction was begun on a much-needed, larger sanctuary. In December of that year, Rayfield Construction Company completed the sanctuary which had a seating capacity of five hundred. Having added this new sanctuary changed the address of the church to 201 N. Houser St.
The debt for the new sanctuary was retired on Tuesday, June 15, 1976. The following Sunday, a note-burning ceremony, was held. Rev. Jerry Lail, who was serving at that time as Interim Pastor, was in charge of the service.
The church called Rev. Keith Love to serve as pastor in September 1976. Rev. Love arid his family came from Albion Baptist Church, Mount Airy, NC. He began his new pastorate at Second Baptist on November 21, 1976.
In January 1977, extensive remodeling was started in the educational part of the church building and also in the fellowship hall, pastor's study and church office. A part-time secretary was added to the staff in August 1984. Land adjacent to the church was purchased in May 1986, to be used for an additional parking area. This land debt was retired in March 1991, arid the parking lot was soon developed. In June 1996, the church purchased the Sellers property located on the comer of East First and Houser Street, next to the parking lot.
Former pastors of Second Baptist Church include the Revs. N.S. Hardin, Arthur Blackburn, Luther Hawkins, Wendell Mullen, Waldo Mullen, Don Steele, Joe Whitworth, Frankfin Hartman, and Hoyd Brown. Rev. Jerry Lall has served twice as Interim Pastor.
Several laymen out of the congregation have been called into full-time gospel ministry. They include Rev. Hinkle Rayfield, pastor of Arrowood Baptist Church, Bessemer City, NC; Rev. H.F. (Bud) Tutherow, retired, and former pastor of New Camp Creek Baptist Church, Kings Mountain, NC; Rev. Gary Rayfield of Glendale, Arizona; also, the late Revs. AV Rippy, Tom Ayers, Charles Kistler, and Coy Delfinger.
In September 1990, Second Baptist Church celebrated its 50th Anniversary. In recent years there has been a continued, steady growth in membership. Much remodefing has been done to accommodate this growth. There has also been an increase each year in tithes, offerings, and gifts to missions.
Respectfully submitted by,
Janet R. Self,
Copyright © 1996, 1997, 1998 CVIweb. All Rights Reserved.